Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Informational Interviews - what is your REAL motive?

I love this post. It is so pertinent to my PR life right now. I am returning to NYC for spring break this year (lived there over the summer and had the time of my life) and can’t wait to show my sorority sister all of my favorite shops and restaurants. Unfortunately, my father thinks my love affair with the Big Apple has gone too far and finds it annoying that I am going for spring break AGAIN – did I mention I went for spring break last year, too? Three trips, one lasting for three months, in under a year seems a bit excessive to him.

Last spring break I went on 11 interviews in four days to find a summer internship. I received nine offers (sorry, just had to throw that in there – always a little self-esteem booster). This year, I have already made plans to go to lunch with my former employers, but this is not supposed to be a working spring break – it is my senior year and before I start working for the next 50 years of my life, I would enjoy a week do whatever my heart desires.

So, my father suggested that I do informational interviews with companies that I may be interested in working for come graduation. One problem – I don’t believe in informational interviews – they know what I’m really there for, I want a JOB – I can find anything I want to know about a company through it’s Web site or even a Google search. Why waste someone’s time pretending to be finding out about their company when I have ulterior motives?

It is very comforting to know that the president of a PR company feels the same way I do. And right after adding this post to my blog, I am going to send a direct link to my father :)!

2 comments:

Julie Rusciolelli said...

You have found the light .. I wish more people in your position would! Informational Interviews is a lot more than information gathering ... because if it was just a meeting to listen to me download information, why is it that I'm bombarded with a portfolio of work to look at and a resume to review? Looks like these youngsters want a job? You are right .. just ask for an interview and you can add "for future consideration" in your pitch if they don't have any openings .. that usually works with me.... best of luck and well wishes, keep up the blogging ... JULIE

Karen Miller Russell said...

Elyse, check this out:
http://www.forward-moving.com/blog/2007/04/12/information-interview-friend-or-foe/