Friday, April 13, 2007

Business and Friendship - can they ever REALLY mix?

I am about to begin my job search and have been brainstorming creative ways to set myself apart from the pack. I came up with an idea that may not be the most original but I think it is pretty great and will be a wonderful attention-getter (not sharing :p sorry a girl's got to have some business secrets up her sleeve).

So you are thinking - great, hope it helps. Well here is where the question of business and friendship comes into play. I have never been in the competitive business world before - except for restaurant jobs and internships, so this is something new for me.

Here is what happened - I told my friend my wonderful idea and she praised me for it - then she goes and USES IT herself. She called me all excited about an interview she got and innocently said "yeah I used your idea last minute, how awesome, right?" Wrong.

I had not applied for the job she was going for but it was still a possible option for the future. I guess now it's not.

I congratulated her on the interview and said "well I guess it's good I wasn't going for that one right now," but I'm not sure whether or not to confront her.

Right now I think I will just remain quiet and chalk this up to my first business vs. friendship lesson. Sometimes in business it is just better to keep your mouth shut because, sadly, it seems that people will do anything to get ahead.

No comments: