Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Life decision update

So I have decided to move to New York City and pursue fashion, beauty and entertainment PR. Scary - yes. Exciting - YES!

I have been revamping my resume and cover letter for the past few days. I am very proud of my resume but I'm still having issues with my cover letter. (Thanks Dr. Russell for looking over my resume! My cover letter will be coming at you soon!) I made three versions: one that is creative but not the standard format, another that has a cool concept and IS the standard format and a third that is just a straight up business cover letter.

I really want to do something to separate myself from the pack, but here comes the issue - what if what I think is super creative and interesting, the PR pros think is stupid? I have gotten opinions from my parents and I think I will contact my old boss for some more advice. I really want to use one of the different ones because I feel like I am not just a run of the mill kind of girl (at least I like to stroke my ego by telling myself that I can stand out!). But I guess sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry. I would rather have a regular cover letter and resume and blend in with the bunch than try something to stand out and have them laugh and throw it away.

Opinions anyone?

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I would suggest using a more creative version of your resume, assuming it is still easy to follow and that all of the relevant information is easy for the employer to see. I love our field because we can show our creative sides and be unconventional. I think that any PR firm would appreciate a candidate that seperated herself from the pack, especially those in the competitive New York area. Good luck!