Saturday, April 21, 2007

The media helped me find an old friend amidst the VT tragedy

I have to say, I am not a big fan of the way the media has covered the Virginia Tech tragedy, but instead of ranting and raving about it, I want to take a positive look. Well, as positive as you can be when discussing something as horrible as this shooting.

When I was growing up, I went to middle school with an amazing boy named Colin Goddard. He was so goofy and fun and everyone loved him. Skinny Colin with the bowl cut - his signature hair style. He had so much energy and life. I dont know a single person who didnt like him, but I do know many girls who wanted to date him! (Yes we had little middle school crushes on each other, how sweet I know). Colin moved after middle school. His parents were aid workers and while my other friends moved to Florida and Colorado - how exotic!- Colin moved to Egypt. We lost touch after a while. But still to this day I will randomly think of him and wonder what he is up to, where he is living and if he is still goofy old Colin.

Well, Wednesday I got my answer. Colin is a senior at Virginia Tech and he was shot three times when Cho entered his French class. He was first shot in the leg. Cho left and went to other classrooms, only to return to Colin's class minutes later and shoot him again in the shoulder and the hip before killing himself. Colin was the last innocent person shot that day.

I was watching Oprah at the gym and missed the first five minutes of the show. Thank goodness I missed it because I would have fallen off the treadmill. I later saw the show - Colin was being interviewed from his hospital bed. He was one of the few survivors.

I have been tracking all of the articles and interviews with Colin. I am so happy to know that he is safe. One of the most surreal parts of this situation for me was seeing the picture of a student being carried out of Norris Hall and thinking how horrible it was and that he looked like he was dying. That picture - one of the main images used to show the world this tragedy - was my friend Colin. I saw it on Monday and Tuesday, never thinking that Wednesday I would learn that HE was the man being carried out, looking lifeless.

Colin is no longer that skinny little kid, and he no longer wears the bowl cut (unfortunately). He is now a handsome, courageous man who I am proud to call my old friend. So, while I believe that the media has focused too much on Cho and his life, I am grateful to have found Colin and, thanks to the media, to know that he is safe and will make it through this tragedy with his wonderful, kind, funny spirit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
天皇賞 秋 2010 said...

第142回 天皇賞 秋 2010 今年の波乱を大予想!出走馬の厳選された情報だけを公開…気になるアノ馬の仕上がり具合とは?さらにオッズやデータを分析し、必勝買い目を導き出す!結果につなげるのはあなた次第!

グリー said...

グリーから始まる新しい関係…恋人や友達、もしかしたらセクフレも出来るかも!?無料期間中に試してみませんか?

ジャパンカップダート said...

第11回 ジャパンカップダート 2010 予想 オッズには抜け穴がある・・・現場スタッフによるデータ収集、さらに血統に関しても徹底して分析済み!出走馬の調整、展開を完全に読みきる!裏情報を独占公開

ワンピース said...

ワンピースの物知り自慢を争ってみませんか?なんか海賊王争いみたいで良いでしょう。ちょっとレアな問題とかも出ますが、結果によってはレアな称号、ヒグマ山賊団の頭の称号が手に入るかもって、いらないかな

出合い掲示板 said...

本当に出合える!出合い掲示板の決定版「LOVE-TREE BBS」へようこそ!友達を作りたい人や恋人募集中の人などが集まる当掲示板で理想のパートナーと愛の木を育ててみませんか?

ワンピース said...

今人気のワンピースチェッカーを使って楽しみませんか?あなたの海賊度ランクが表示されますよ。いつでも使えて楽しいよ